Saturday, January 12, 2008

Luck at key times...

Tonight has been a case of getting bad luck just at times when things are setting up quite nicely in a tournament.

First of all was deep into a $5k 500 runner tourney with about 75 left and 60 getting paid and I was chip leader on the table. Then in the space of 5 hands I'm out to 3 hands I get all-in pre-flop with. Firstly KK vs 99, secondly AA vs QT and finally AK vs A5.

It doesn't help that I only won 1 out of 5 coinflips tonight in the 7 tournies I played. I even managed to avoid a lot of coinflips and got my money in way ahead only to get outdrawn.

The main reason for the blog title was the way I went out of the last tourney I was in, a £2 freezeout on Sun with about 220 runners and £144 for 1st. I got to the final table in great shape, 3rd in chips with over 30BB's and then a few hands in this happens:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1931424

My reason for shoving preflop was that I'd played with the 2 big stacks throughout the tournament and had constantly seen them showdown mediocre hands so knew my AK was good and was happy to just take down the 15k in the pot and show a good hand against the all-in short-stack. Then to my surprise the cold-calling big stack makes the call for over half his chips...with Queen Ten. WOW! Obviously the Ten hits the turn and instead of having 113k and being chip leader and well on my way to a nice finish ,I'm picking up a tenner for finishing 9th. Painful.

In other poker related news I've set up an account on Pokerstars. I found £45 in my Neteller account so thought I may as well put it to use so we'll see how far that roll can grow, or probably shrink. Played an $8 MTT on it this evening but didn't fare too well and most players seem very passive pre flop making it hard to get big hands paid.

In non-poker related news it's mine and Jo's 4 year anniversary together which is quite an achievement, just thought I'd let the couple of people that read this blog know!

No comments: