Thursday, June 07, 2007

In the beginning

Basically having seen that one of my mates (Ed) has started a blog about turning into a professional poker player as our uni careers have finished (although his technically didnt finish) I thought I may as well update people on what i'm getting up to as I move into the big wide world. This blog will probably focus on what poker i manage to play but i hope to write about all things in my life...so golf as well as poker then...oh and my missus...

Poker: A brief introduction

I play online when I can under the following aliases:

Party Poker: ben_w_2004
Noble Poker: MrPokerIce
Sun Poker: Joanne10

I am what is often termed a "grinder" when it comes to online poker. I think I am probably the best user of bankroll management I have ever met, hence why I have never played stakes higher than $22 for a tourney (not including satellites into bigger ones) and have only had a few dabbles at stakes higher than $0.25/$0.50 playing cash games.

My Party Poker account balance is currently $0, i just dont seem to get on with that site. The other two I have mentioned however I regularly make money on. I started playing Sun poker over the xmas period having seen my mum playing and winning on it and thinking if she could then so could I! I deposited $50 and my balance currently stands at about $700 (having taken the $50 back out). I mainly play $0.15/$0.25 cash games, £3/£5 SNG's and Multi table tournies from £2 to $11 buyins (yes the changing currencies are on purpose, Sun poker caters for all needs). It has been a grind, I mainly play the cash and SNGs to grind my way up whilst waiting for a big result in an MTT, one which suprisingly has not arrived yet. I think this may be due to the introduction of antes in the latter stages of tournies, an element does not suit my tight play.

The Noble account is the one I am most proud of. I started with £0 in that account, entered a freeroll and never looked back. I currently have about £700 in there (around $1400) having cashed out around £750 if not more from there. When i used to play regularly i used to make one or two major MTT cashes a month. When i mean major i mean for me which is a top three finish in a $5/$10 freezeout or rebuy for between $300 and $700. However I havent been able to play regularly or long enough sessions in the last 6 months or so to get these kind of results again due to uni commitments and girlfriend and family commitments. Obviously my chances in the future are also going to be restricted by work commitments. Damn commitments.

Anyway, thats a brief introduction, I hope to do a further post later tonight as a plan on playing a bit so i'll report on that plus in the future introduce other things such as golf and cricket...and girlfriend...

No comments: