Monday, December 08, 2008

Fun/Painful weekend...

Have had a couple of pretty busy weekends recently. Last weekend spent Friday night up at the lads flat in London playing a bit of poker, ended up about £20 down in the 10p/20p shenanigans but had a pretty good time. Picked up aces once but apart from that was pretty card dead and action dead.

I play so differently in the live game to what I do online, maybe because of the players, I hardly played any hands and sat tight waiting to hit something knowing the aggressive nature of the game should allow me to get paid off but ended up making an uncharacteristic move to get it all in for £40 with an up and down straight draw, unfortunately against a set, and didn't hit either of the two times we ran it.

I bled a bit more then one a couple of nice pots, firstly when I turned a boat with A9 vs Alec's A7 on an 779 board (turn 9), he was steaming at this point and called my small shove knowing he was behind I think. Then I called the Cannon down with Ace high to win a nice little pot but apart from that pretty much got run over. Big Tone was the big winner of the night, I think he had about £350 on the table by the end of the night.

The rest of the weekend was spent doing shopping and decorating the flat for Christmas. We got our new sofa on Thursday which meant the living room sofa/armchair got put up in the games room which is a sweet upgrade.

The Friday rolled around and the work Christmas do. This is where the fun/pain starts...

Had a good laugh and a few drinks, was expecting to have to pay for the drinks/food at the end of the night but the company picked up the bill which was awesome, saved a good £25-£30 there I think.

Got home at about 1am feeling a bit ill so rather than go to bed thought I'd play a quick game of poker...loaded up a $22 matrix tournament and it was only when the first hand was dealt that I realised it was an Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Lo matrix game!!! Was quite drunk still and so it was tough...but somehow managed to luckbox my way to a win, a second and a second overall in the matrix to return $44! The highlight was waking up to the sound of my laptop beeping and being very confused before realising that I must have fallen asleep mid-game. By this time it was heads-up and I had just over 1 big blind left and I just called/shoved at every opportunity and managed to luckbox my way to the win! I then got up and went to the toilet and threw up and went to sleep.

Saturday morning I got up and forced myself to eat something, I was not a pretty sight, feeling very fragile, but needed to get something down me as I was playing football in the afternoon. Drove the 45 minutes to get there not feeling very good at all but once I got there and got outside into the fresh air I felt a bit better.

And so onto the game...now this was the first time I had done any sort of exercise for over 3 months, I was playing in the 3rd team as centre mid and looking at the fat old men in the opposition was pretty confident I could dominate. I was even more confident when in the first couple of minutes I received a throw-in, turned my man on the edge of the box and fired a shot narrowly wide...a few minutes later and I was shattered!

It didn't help that the "pitch" was pretty much a swamp and I had inappropriately short studs on which meant I was sliding all over the place but my fitness was just awful. We went one down pretty shockingly, the ball got played over the top into the corner and it looked like it would fly off for a goal kick but it just stuck in the mud and whilst all our defenders had just stopped, their attackers chased it , one picked it up and crossed for the other to tap in. We then had 4 one-on-ones with the keeper and only converted one of them to go in 1-1 at half-time.

The second half pretty much passed me by. We conceded from a corner fairly early on and then with about 20 minutes to go I got cramp in my left calf...then a few minutes later I jumped for a header and got cramp in my right calf...and as I landed the cramp came back in my left calf...so the last 20 minutes I literally just walked about pretty aimlessly as wave after wave of fat old men ran past me! It didn't help that with 25 minutes to go we had made our last sub, who got injured 2 minutes later meaning we had to play with 10 men! We conceded a silly penalty and they scored another scrappy one to make it 4-1 and although we got a late consolation we didn't deserve anything from the game.

So the rest of Saturday, Sunday and still today my whole body has been aching and I've got so many cuts and bruises all over my body. The worst is my right hand which got stood on after I had slipped over for the umpteenth time, my index and middle fingers were swollen to twice their size and you couldn't even see my knuckles and whilst the swelling has gone down a bit now it's still pretty painful.

Hopefully I can recover in time for next week though, I don't know if I'll get promoted to the 2nds as they won 7-1 this week but in time I fully expect to and hopefully once I've got my fitness up I can get back into the first team.

Played a bit of poker yesterday, lost a buyin on Full Tilt so played with $15 on Party's Omaha Hi-Lo, and got stacked when the turn and river counterfeited my low hand and made his high hand...so played a $3 turbo sit and go planning to shove every hand to let off some steam but found Queens first up and shoved UTG to get called by AK and A5. My queens held and so I played properly and must have won about 80% of pots to take it down, I was hitting everything. The highlight was when the blinds were 50/100 I was in the Big Blind and UTG went all-in for 130 chips, it got called in 4 places and I shoved with J4 having everyone covered, 2 people called one with AJ the other with 88 and the UTG had QQ. The board came A84...4...4...so sick.

I haven't got much planned for the next week or so, hopefully recover in time to put in a better effort at football on Saturday...

No comments: